About Me

My photo
Sewing and cooking are two of my favorite things. In the past, I often found myself searching for pictures and details of projects I have done, without success. So I decided to start documenting my creations. Then my son suggested I add my recipes to the blog so that they are documented also.

Friday, January 3, 2014

Thank You Tara Pork Roll Soup

Well it is a snowy Pennsylvania day and I decided to make soup this morning. I went into the fridge and pulled out fresh vegetables and I saw the pork roll sitting there and an idea hit me. Why not make soup with some of it. Now I have no idea what pork roll is made of; all I know is that my daughter-in-law Tara brought pork roll to us from her hometown of Howell, New Jersey and we Pittsburghers love the stuff.  In the summer it is fabulous grilled on a sandwich with our fresh tomatoes. It is great scrambled with eggs also. So here is my Pork Roll Soup recipe - boy did my hubby and I enjoy it for our lunch today. So Thank You Tara!!

 
 
1 cup chopped celery
2 carrots coarsely chopped
1 slice of pork roll (1 inch thick) diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tblsp olive oil
64 oz chicken broth
1 small can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans
1 cup Spanish rice (cooked)
1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
 
Saute the celery, carrots, garlic and pork roll in the olive oil for about 10 minutes. Then add broth, tomatoes, beans, rice and macaroni. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about an hour. When carrots are tender season with salt and pepper to taste. As you can see I happened to have left over spanish rice and threw it in; but you could use any leftover pasta or rice you have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment