About Me

My photo
Sewing and cooking are two of my favorite things. In the past, I often found myself searching for pictures and details of projects I have done, without success. So I decided to start documenting my creations. Then my son suggested I add my recipes to the blog so that they are documented also.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce



This is my crockpot spaghetti sauce recipe that is so easy to get started and then have a great smelling house. It just always turns out good and there are many ways to vary it.



1 1/2 Tblsp olive oil                            2/3 cup chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic                              1 Tblsp dried parsley
1 Tblsp dried basil                               1 Tblsp dried oregano
2 - 28 oz crushed tomatoes in puree                
1 - 28oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine - any kind
1 tsp each of salt, sugar and pepper


First put the garlic, onions, parsley, basil and oregano in the bottom of the crockpot with the oil. Cover and cook on high for 1/2 hour.

 
 
Now add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.  1 hour before finished cooking you can add cooked meatballs; if using pre-made frozen just drop in while frozen.

 
 
Variations:
 
To make meat sauce just brown 2 lbs ground beef and add at least 1 hour before done.
If you prefer marinara type sauce, use 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of sauce.
In the summer substitute your fresh tomatoes for all 3 cans of tomato products and add tomato paste to thicken.
 
This batch will feed 6-8  people easily. Make it and freeze the leftovers for another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment