So my son and daughter-in-law were given a glider rocker for their nursery but they tend to like a classical look more than a country style. So we took off the cushions and were left with the wooden skeleton. We perused some sites on the internet and got some great ideas to redo it. I don't do upholstery or slipcovers but agreed to attempt it. From reading a few blogs I decided on 5 yards of upholstery fabric but honestly could have used another 1/2 yard but I managed to make it work.
So here is what we started with. We bought 2 yards of 3 inch high density foam to provide structure. By the way the foam is really expensive so try to get it on sale. I also wrapped batting over the foam on the arms to keep the wood from jutting out.
Next I made a muslin sample out of some old fabric I had. It fit pretty well so I cut into the good fabric. To figure out how to cut it I followed Slipcovers for Dummies http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-slipcover-patterns.html. If I were to do this again I think I would like to take a class to learn some methods for measuring and tricks for sewing it all together.
I am pretty happy with the end result. It is not perfect but it looks really nice in the nursery and is exceptionally comfortable.