About Me

My photo
Sewing and cooking are two of my favorite things. In the past, I often found myself searching for pictures and details of projects I have done, without success. So I decided to start documenting my creations. Then my son suggested I add my recipes to the blog so that they are documented also.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Too Many Eggs - Make a Frittata

I had way too many eggs that needed used this week so I made a frittata for lunch.  I gathered vegetables that I had in the fridge, some cheese and 10 eggs.  Any vegetables work as does any kind of shredded cheese to equal about 1 cup.  So here's what I used.

Carrots, broccoli, onions - all chopped but since I was sauteing all together I chopped the carrots smaller so they would be tender in the same time as the larger pieces of broccoli and onion.


So I had shredded cheddar cheese and I shredded a small block of pepper jack cheese to make 1 cup of combined cheese.  I knew my hubby would like some meat so I chopped up some Virginia baked ham to mix in also.  I had a small amount of chopped turkey bacon from last weekend so I figured I would throw it in also.

I used an 11 inch skillet that can be placed in the oven for the last minutes of baking.






I sauteed the vegetables in 2 tablespoons of olive oil till tender, about 4 minutes.  Then I stirred in the ham and cooked for a few minutes more.  Lastly I added the bacon bits and 3/4 cup of the cheese.  I stirred all together and then used my immersion blender to mix the 10 eggs.

I really like the immersion blender as I can use it in hot mixtures as well as cold. It is the perfect instrument to blend lumps out of your gravy.  You just have to remember to keep it on the bottom of the pan or pot when it is in motion.              
So when my ingredients were tender and all heated through, I poured in the eggs.  Then I sprinkled the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on top.  I also added a few twists of ground pepper over it all.  I usually add some salt but did not this time because I used ham and bacon and there would be enough salt.


I kept the pan over medium heat for a few minutes until the eggs were getting dry around the edge of pan.  Then I pop in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.  The frittata is a perfect meal with some fruit or a small salad.  It can also be eaten cold later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment